[rescue] riddle me this on my ss10

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 29 12:49:39 CDT 2002

> > looks like a lock of some sort. I attempted to remove one
> > with a screw driver (it seemed you turned the back to pop
> > it out) with no luck.
>
> Eeek!  Those are not screw holes.  They are not to be removed.  Eek.

Hmmm...so what *are* they?  I've never really played with ISDN,
and had always ass-u-med that the little black plugs were there
to keep one from accidentally plugging in 10BaseT into the wrong
connector.

(Related note:  On a bunch of SGI Indys that were going into a
US Government facility, the ISDN ports caused significant issues
for the Government security folks doing some acceptance testing--
regardless of software measures that had been taken, and the
complete absence of ISDN hardware/connections in that building,
they requested that the contractor physically remove/disable the
ISDN capability--they viewed it as an "internal modem" which was
expressly verboten.  When I left the project (several years ago)
I believe someone was looking for a source for the little black
plugs just like Sun boxen had...to stick them into the Indys.)

  --Rip