[rescue] Raised floor - first shots of installation...

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue May 28 12:32:17 CDT 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 05:43:29PM -0400, Mike Johnson wrote:

> That said, it was an absolute -mess- underfloor.  We had cat 5,
> thickwire, thinwire, all sorts of different power cables/connections
> (the server room was built to hold four early 80's VAXen, each of which
> were gigantic and took, I think, three-phase power) and it was nearly
> impossible to trace a cable.
>
> I -much- prefer overhead cable runs.  It's a lot easier to trace, and a
> lot easier to change.

underfloor can be as easy to trace and change, as long as it's done right.  if
you have a dedicated "infrastructure team" like ebay does, or if you are very
anal (john p comes to mind, i LOVE under the floor of that datacenter) it is
not so bad.

but if you are a lazy shit like me, overhead is WAY easier to deal with. :)

-brian
--
Besides, statistics are different for computers.  Experience has taught
me that if you see one instance, it's an anomaly. If you see two, you're