[rescue] HAL computer systems SL/100R

Full_Name inkubus at post.interalpha.co.uk
Tue May 28 11:33:14 CDT 2002

> > I take it they can handle being anet server then.
> It all depends on what you want to serve.
One will probably see use as a central server for our network (quite a bit
of NFS, mail, DNS, ssh, http probabily) the other I was thinking of using as
my personal machine (althought a Fujitsu dual Pentium SMP is tempting as
well).  I'm comming to the conclusion that these are probabily waste on such
trivial applications but I didn't realise *quite* how nice / powerful they
were when I bought them.

>  These things (the AXi) have
> some really nice I/O capabilities and can be stuffed full of SCSI
> controllers.  If the SL/100R is wedged into a small chassis you may
> want to put it in a larger one unless you need the space.
One I'm possibly going to rehouse into an ATX case as it looks simpler than
trying to remove and refit the power supply.  Does Sun sell suitable cases
for these (for a reasonable amount) because otherwise I can see myself
having to knock holes in a PC case.

> If you want to use this machine as a workstation then you can drop a
> Creator or Elite card into the UPA slot onboard and get a terrific
> speed boost over any PCI framebuffer.
I'm not familiar with these - would you mind explaining a bit more?

>  For nontextured OpenGL (typically
> CAD apps) you can get excellent bang for the buck and the software side is
> IMHO more mature than Mesa (it's based on the ARB sources).
ummm... not sure I'm going to be running any suitable software although it
sounds intreaging; have never before owned anything powerful enough to
handle 3D beyond Doom :-)

> SPARC
> > > port
> > > bootable
> > > All of the above will work.  I run Solaris 8 on mine.
> > Cool.
> SPARC64 is the arch used by the older HALstations, also manufactured by
> HAL Computer Systems.  It was the first 64-bit SPARC architecture.  I
> do not know if Debian is using the term to denote Sun's 64-bit SPARC
> implementation, which is technically known as SPARC V9.
According to the UltraLinux FAQ:
"Originally the port was done to 32-bit SPARC machines.  Later a kernel
was developed to exploit the 64-bit features of Sun's newer UltraSPARC
chips. Under Linux, the 32-bit SPARC architecture is known as
"sparc", and the 64-bit as "sparc64". The architecture
dependent parts for the sparc64 were included in the Linux kernel tree as
of version 2.2.5"
I take this (nad other sources) to mean that the "sparc64" port is aimed at
all 64 bit SPARC machines but designed for the UltraSPARC.

> them
> > > to see
> > > I'd go with Solaris instead of Linux.
> > Was probabily going to run one of each, partially because I'm a lot
> more
> > familiar with Linux and want to learn Solaris and partially because I
> want
> > to compare the relative speeds.
> Let me second the opinion that you give Solaris a fair shake.  Try not
> to be turned off by what's not "in the box", Sun is of the opinion that if
> you want to add a freely available extra then you will take the steps
> to do it yourself.
How different in admin terms are they?  Have used Solaris machines but am
slightly hesitant about having a main server running an OS I don't
understand that well.  Also is there any truth in the claims that UltraLinux
runs fast on Sun machines than Solaris does?

> > >  I dont think these boards can actually boot off of a floppy drive.
> > *checks manual* Yep, I stand corrected.
> Can't imagine anyone wanting to boot off of a floppy when the network
> is there.
It was mainly as a back up and a way of testing things out.  Have got PCs to
net boot but was a bit hesitant about having to cross compile / set up
complete kernel / root fs.

Cheers,
 - Martin