[rescue] New Workstation..

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue May 28 11:00:16 CDT 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Leslie Connally wrote:

> All this talk has me interested in a U30...
> OR a new G4 OSX Mac..

Depends on what you want.

If I wanted a Unix server (specifically, to run only "Unix" apps) I would
probably go for the U30.  The I/O capabilities are quite nice and the OS
is very solid.

If I wanted a desktop box, I'd look long and hard at OS X.  It still seems
a more fragile and unresponsive under load than Solaris, but this is all
relative.  For a consumer OS it's very very good.  It is definitely
evolving more rapidly at this time, which can either be a plus or a minus
depending on your point of view.  It is definitely a CPU and graphics pig
with regards to the resources it consumes.

If I wanted to run CPU intensive apps and didn't care much about the OS,
I'd go for the G4.  Bang for the buck is quite high.

I already have a U30 so I'd probably get the G4 just for variety.  :)

-James