[rescue] Re: HAL computer systems SL/100R

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon May 27 22:16:15 CDT 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> > > Yikes!  Do you know of anywhere that does second hand RAM?  Prices are a
> > > bit high for a student budget.
> >
> > eBay would be the other alternative.  It will never be as cheap as PC
> > SDRAM, unfortunately.
> >
> Lots of the middle-aged Compaq Servers use this type of RAM, specifically
> (IIRC) the Proliant 3000, 5000, 6000, 6400, 6500 & 7000.

You might check out the ebay seller "rmssstc" who often sells the Compaq
equivalent memory. The one catch to be aware of is the 10-bit column vs
11-bit column issue. I got a different variety from them a year or so ago,
and it showed up as 128MB in my AXi system.

Note that I'm not complaining. It was a kick-arse deal as 128MB even, and
right now it's in a PR440FX board that's at 200% of rated memory capacity
and only half full. They're a great seller and I'm quite happy with the
deal. Might buy some of these for my Alpha server even.

Take a look at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2026824940 and look up
the part number to compare it against the AXi specification.

--Rob