[rescue] HAL computer systems SL/100R

Full_Name inkubus at post.interalpha.co.uk
Mon May 27 15:54:47 CDT 2002

Thanks for your mail - I am still stunned by the speed and conclusiveness of
your reply!

> > 1. If it possible to repair / replace the power supply- are there any
> > likely easy fixes?
> Its just a standard ATX PC-style power supply;
*phew*

> these are ATX
> form-factor motherboards and can go in a standard PC case.  This machine
> that servers the SunHELP web pages and mailing lists is an AXi 440Mhz.
I take it they can handle being anet server then.

> > 2. Is it possible to acquire more RAM (currently each has 256mb in two
> > 168pin EDO ECC DRAM DIMMs
> MemoryX and crucial.com carry RAM for these machines.
Yikes!  Do you know of anywhere that does second hand RAM?  Prices are a
bit high for a student budget.

> > 3. Is it possible to run Solaris 8/9 or UltraLinux on them?  The SPARC
> port
> > of Debian can allegidly be run on a SPARC64 but is the lack of a
> bootable
> > floppy drive a problem?
> All of the above will work.  I run Solaris 8 on mine.
Cool.

> > 4. Are there any "Linux on a floppy" distro's that will work on them
> to see
> > how much of the hardware works, etc.
> I'd go with Solaris instead of Linux.
Was probabily going to run one of each, partially because I'm a lot more
familiar with Linux and want to learn Solaris and partially because I want
to compare the relative speeds.

>  I dont think these boards can actually boot off of a floppy drive.
*checks manual* Yep, I stand corrected.

> > 5. Given that www.hal.com is long gone and Fujitsu claim to have not
> > even heard of HAL is there anywhere I can get (more) documentation for
> > these?
> Just go to Sun's web site; HAL just sold them, and didnt make them:
> http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/nep/hardware/boards/axi/
> That should be everything you need.
Seems like it - if I have further problems (I shouldn't imagine I will but
just in case) would you mind if I contacted you again?

Thanks for your time,
 ~ Martin