[rescue] HAL computer systems SL/100R

Full_Name inkubus at post.interalpha.co.uk
Mon May 27 14:33:39 CDT 2002

Hi,
   I have recently acquired a pair of HAL computer systems SL/100R.  These
are 19" rack mounted units using a Sun AXi motherboard and (AFAIK) a Sun
UltraSPARC IIi 333mhz processor, 9Gb SCSI HD, SCSI CD-ROM, floppy and PCI
quad ethernet card and ATI Rage graphics card via some bizaar header (as
far as I can tell the header is just so the cards can be fitted parallel to
the motherboard).  Since I got them the power supply on one of them appears
to have died; when the machine is plugged in and the power button is held
down, nothing happens but it works when connected to the other machine's
power supply.  My questions are numerous and varied:

1. If it possible to repair / replace the power supply- are there any likely
easy fixes?
2. Is it possible to acquire more RAM (currently each has 256mb in two of
eight DIMM slots) the motherboard manual says it will support up to 1gb
(with 256 & 512 mb DIMMs is it possible to go higher?) and requires 60ns
168pin EDO ECC DRAM DIMMs
3. Is it possible to run Solaris 8/9 or UltraLinux on them?  The SPARC port
of Debian can allegidly be run on a SPARC64 but is the lack of a bootable
floppy drive a problem?
4. Are there any "Linux on a floppy" distro's that will work on them to see
how much of the hardware works, etc.
5. Given that www.hal.com is long gone and Fujitsu claim to have not even
heard of HAL is there anywhere I can get (more) documentation for these?

Thanks in advance,
 ~ Martin