[rescue] Raised floor - first shots of installation...

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon May 27 01:48:50 CDT 2002

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> > Here is the link for the first part of my raised floor install:
> >
> > http://www.zill.net/dusty-index.adp
>
> Speaking of "dusty", you should probably think about doing some kind of
> treatment for those cinder-block walls/columns.
>
> Even plain old concrete floor paint would be a good idea, but you should
> do all such painting, including the current floor, before you lay the
> raised floor!

I agree with you. At $company where I work, the raised floor was made up
from building the place, so the bottom of the 1-meter floor-raising is 1
meter lower than the rest of the building. Kind of neat not needing a
ramp to move things into the datacenter. :-)

Our floor is made up of 27 x 18 tiles, each 600 x 600 millimeters. In
one end, behind a wall, there's a _huge_ cooling equipment, moving some
hefty amounts of air per hour. This was built back in the early 80's for
big IBM mainframes, but when Micro$oft took over the world, boxes got
smaller and smaller. Therefore we had to clean out the old three-phase
400V 63Amp connectors from under the floor since nothing in there used
it anymore.
We had (until 2 weeks ago) three main power distributions, each 600V
three-phase, 120Amps each.  Now we're down to one distribution at only
100 Amps, and even that is somewhat overrated. :-)

The concrete floor beneath is painted gray and has drainingpipes drawn
to flush out any excess cooling-liquid that the old mainframes could
spew out if Something Went Wrong. We have both moisture- and firesensors
beneath the floor, even though we don't have any liquidcooled machines
anymore. All FC/GbE fibers, power, serial, SCSI and Cat-5/6 cables go
under the floor, looking nice and (somewhat) tidy.
Ofcourse, I've been crawling under there to clean out excess cables once
in a while, but I still prefer this than anything else. :-)

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB