[rescue] New Workstation..

Joshua Johnston flagg at midmaine.com
Sat May 25 13:25:44 CDT 2002

Definitely go with the G4 with OSX.  Not only do you get the flexibility
of a *nix machine, but you get application support.  You'll be able to
run X11 rootless, and that's just a blast.  I've got a G3 500 iBook
running OSX, and it's just not quite as powerful as it needs to be. RAM
is a lot more important though.  I'd suggest bumping it to 512M as soon
as possible.  And try and make sure you can get a 32M Radeon in there,
as Apple just announced that OS X 10.2 is going to have some -nice-
support for hardware acceleration in the UI, but you'll need a 32M board
in order to take full advantage of it.  Once you get a machine like that
though, you'll be in love.