[rescue] StarOffice 6 Released! Oh, wait, Nevermind... (was:Solaris 9 released)

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Wed May 22 19:54:42 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:52:34PM -0400, George Adkins wrote:
    [snip]
> Really? Tried it lately?

I've tried it under Linux and Win32. It works pretty well and it's much
lighter and faster than MS-Office. One interesting thing is that the
Word documents it writes are more compact than those written by the
original and it's native format is an order of magnitude smaller for
long, heavily edited documents (for some reason Word97 and 2000
documents often bloat even when revisioning is turned off). It doesn't
handle OLE-embedding on Win32 correctly leading to the really complex
documents missing big chunks where it inserts a blue jigsaw puzzle icon.

For everyday stuff it's great. What I would *LOVE* to see is the ability
to import LyX or LaTeX documents and output MS-Word and vice-versa. None
of the LaTeX->RTF translators work quite right and Abiword will output
LaTeX but not import it.

- Ross