[rescue] Is this the thing you need to use a FCAL drive?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed May 22 17:52:52 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:35:19AM -0600, Leslie Connally wrote:
> Brian-
>
> GBICs are included on eBay at sellers descretion! you'll just have to ask

this is not an ebay listed item.

> the guy.. ususally ebay sellers are too crafty to give away more than one
> GBIC.

well, again, not an ebay listed item, but an ebay seller, so.....

although the picture does have 4 GBICs in it.  with 4 GBICs it's a hands down
buy, but with only one?  then i have to buy a bunch more.  gets expensive
quick.

> Now from what I have discovered, is that the GBIC module form-factor seems
> to be standardized for the most part.. the actual module plug interface and
> the size, and even the general location on the snap-in-places. Now some
> snap-in-placers work better in some equipment than others.. matched sets
> obviously work best..  cisco in cisco, gadzoox in gadzoox compaq in compaq
>
> but I have successfully put compaq GBICS in gadzoox for example with no problem.

this is all good to know.  i was sorta sure of this, but didn't want to make
any assumptions.

> ebay is full of GBICs  though pay attention.. its a generic phrase. There
> are Gigabit ethernet GBICS both in LW and SW, and FCAL GBICS (usually
> labelled 1063 as opposed ot 1250) in both fiber and copper (DB9)

ok, so i'm going to be looking for FC GBICs then.  gotta remember that. :)

what's most commong?  SW or LW?

> The Cicso GBICs will be ethernet..
> The Compaq, of which there are alot last I looked, are FCAL.
> FYI. Compaq's are mad eby IBM and are sometimes labelled as such
>
> Compaq PN is 380561-B21 or 234456-003 or 234458-001
> IBM is SOC-1063N SW  PN 21H9872 or 21H9837

i will look.  wonder what they cost.  hmmmm.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"