[rescue] StarOffice 6 Released! Oh, wait, Nevermind... (was:Solaris 9 released)

frank php at mundo-r.com
Wed May 22 17:25:20 CDT 2002

> > God forbid we pay anybody for their work.

doesn't have too much sense that a huge company like sun wants to charge
people for their (still in development) office suite. why?, cause out
there are great free office suits that do the work and do it better
(openoffice, abiword+gnumeric, etc) for $75 i can buy suse 8.0
professional ($80) or almost 2 personals ($40). and you still got more
free (as in freedom and free like a beer ) opportunities.  you can
install debian and run open office and you gonna be very happy.
if you tell me that openoffice wants to charge $20 for the software, i
think it's ok, they got to eat too. but actually $75 it's a crazy price
for just staroffice. it's almost a M$ price. i enjoy to pay for good
stuff, every year i buy a linux distro just for the fun of it.
is sun just asking for money to pay developers? (just like mandrake?)

nope

they just want to take advantage of it.
well that's a stupid marketing decision when you are in the open source
world (also GNU world).
--
Frank
?>