[rescue] Re: Solaris 9 issues

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed May 22 17:01:41 CDT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:05:06PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > Don't they now include gcc on "bonus" discs?
> > Word on the net is that it is broken for 64bit installations.
>
> replace broken with doesn't generate 64-bit binaries for sparc that
> work at all.

Last I checked (a year ago or so) long double was still broken and the
optimization was lousy, but everything else appeared functional.  For code
that doesn't depend on long double it should be usable, though
Workshop/Forte/name-of-the-week is very preferable.

Josh, what do you feel you need a 64bit compiler for?  If you're not
working with either kernel drivers or apps that need more than a 4GB
address space you can almost certainly do as well or better compiling in
32bit mode.

-James