[rescue] Solaris 9 released

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed May 22 14:26:26 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 22 May 2002 02:55 pm, you wrote:
> >     >> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:54:31AM -0400, George Adkins wrote:
> >     >> > Yes, in my case, it will simply intensify my intrest in
> >     >>
> >     >> FreeBSD/Sparc.
> >     >>
> >     >> why FreeBSD?  any particular reason?
> >
> >     George> Yes, actually...  SMP support, and active projects
> >     George> actually porting useful apps to FreeBSD, Like OpenOffice.
> >
> > You'll excuse me, but I'm not even sure FreeBSD run's at all on any
> > sparc. As far as I know, none of the BSD's support sparc SMP's. Linux
> > does, albeit not extraordinarily well.
>
> 	As of last month there was a bootable Kernal for the Sparc
> 64's. NetBSD runs on the older machines pretty well. (I run it on a Sparc
> 10 and a 20,) but no SMP yet... :(

Actually, according to the FreeBSD Website, (I've been watching...)
http://www.Freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/sparc64/x15.html#AEN64

Quote:
"Ultra 80 and Blade 1000 are expected to work, maybe with minor
modifications. SMP is supported on Ultra 2 and 60 workstations and Enterprise
220R, 250 and 420R servers."
:Endquote

George