[rescue] Solaris 9 released

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed May 22 12:28:42 CDT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Unfortunately, no downloads for a few days.  However, you can order the
> "slim" media kit (just the OS, on both CD and DVD) for $50, and the "full"
> media kit (with bonus software) for $95.

This I understand, although I WAS disappointed...  I figured I'd try it
today (although it's probably best, I have other work to do).

> One thing a lot of people may not have noticed - the "Free Solaris" program
> was formerly "free" for use on systems with less than 8 CPUs.  That has been
> changed to only allow "free" use on systems with ONE CPU:

> http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/licensing.html

This annoys me...  I can understand them wanting to charge for the
newer enterprise-level features that are usually used by customers
with multiple processors, but (like someone else mentioned) I think
they should exempt it for sun4m/4d machines.  Most of these are
becoming hobbyist machines...

--Kurt