[rescue] Solaris 9 released

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed May 22 11:09:02 CDT 2002

>Its out -
>
>http://www.sun.com/solaris
>
>Unfortunately, no downloads for a few days.  However, you can order the
>"slim" media kit (just the OS, on both CD and DVD) for $50, and the "full"
>media kit (with bonus software) for $95.

Why bother with the DVD?  Is it really that large?

>One thing a lot of people may not have noticed - the "Free Solaris" program
>was formerly "free" for use on systems with less than 8 CPUs.  That has been
>changed to only allow "free" use on systems with ONE CPU:
>
>http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/licensing.html

Well... I see no need to upgrade anytime soon.  I honestly don't
think that companies like SGI, Sun, and Apple should separate the OS
and the hardware. If you have the hardware you should be able to run
the latest OS version that supports that hardware. I also like SGI's
idea of one box, one license.

>There is nothing in place (that I know of) to enforce this licensing; they
>just want you to pay more if you have more than one CPU... However, in some
>cases (older SS10/20 systems, etc) the value of the Solaris license will
>exceed the value of the system it will be running on.

unless its *THAT* much faster I can't see moving my boxes to 9.

>IMHO, this change will just result in a lot of people "illegally" running
>Solaris 9 on their systems, as it was before the "Free Solaris" licensing
>program came out.. and it will result in a lot of bad PR for Sun, who
>apparently dont think that people might have SMP systems at home.

I don't think sun is going to crack down on it, and they'll only get
bad PR if they do.

daniel