OT: [rescue] Trusted Path (Was: Sunpc Card)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed May 22 08:22:24 CDT 2002

> My understanding is that the Ctrl-Alt-Del combo is only valid under
> NT, that is, under Linux or OpenBSD on x86 you would not have the same
> situation.
Not sure I understand your point.  [CTRL][ALT][DEL] still generates
an NMI in x86-compatible processors--depending on installed interrupt
handlers, then of course different things happen.  I know that Debian
includes docs on how to set up inittab so that the three finger salute
on the console causes an init 0 or init 6.  The point of the NMI is that
it takes precedence over practically any other CPU activity.

> Of course, if you had a re-programmable keyboard you could change the
> key assignments, which would then defeat the purpose.
True--which is why re-programmable keyboards weren't part of the
Evaluated Configuration...but as they become more and more common,
it is perhaps a reason why the MS implementation of the Trusted Path
is losing some of its appeal.

  --Rip