[rescue] Sunpc Card

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue May 21 05:28:36 CDT 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:01:13AM -0400, Michael Schiller wrote:
> "Loomis, Rip" wrote:
> > When Sun got around to creating the SunPCI card, they had learned
> > some lessons and made it almost independent of the host processor/
> One thing I wish the SunPCi cards could/would do is boot up at system
> startup, rather than having to be started by a logged in user. I was
> going to install Win2k on mine rather than Win98 or the unsupported
> WinME that I currently have on mine, but why use a multi-user capable
> (or so it thinks, it's still an MS product) when the machine boots only
> when the user starts the window interface program? I used to have an
> Amiga 2000 with a Bridgeboard in it (yup, PC on a card for the Amiga),
> and it would boot with the machine, and the program to use it was simply
> a window to the virtual screen. I mean, if SunPCi can run a multi user
> OS on a multi-user machine (any Sun), why not make the interface program
> a window so that multiple users can have windows open?

Multiple connections to a windos host?
It's not *that* multi-user an OS :)

But it does make sense.

There's an article in the sun blueprints (IIRC) that describes latching
a set of sunpci's to some enterprise host and running VNC or something
on them. Everyone read that?

--
There's a saying in the aviation industry that with a big enough engine you
can fly a barn door. Well, the x86 architecture is a barn door, and it's