[rescue] Curious about an ss1000E

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Mon May 20 22:34:28 CDT 2002

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is
> the same as an SS1000 without the ability to use the 2MB L2 cache
> versions of some Sparc CPUs.

The difference between the SS1000 and the SS1000E is the buss speed. The
SS1000 has a 40mhz buss, the E model is 50mhz. None of the 1000's can
use more than 1mb of cache, they can use the modules that have 2mb but
will only see 1mb of it.

> It is the size of a large PC turned on its side and with about 4 extra
> inches added to the height of the resulting box.

I don't know if this size reference will help, but they are identical in
size to the SSA 30 drive JBOD that Sun used to sell.

> The machine is quite heavy, but takes normal 110V AC.  I think it is
> about 85 pounds.

The machine like most Sun stuff can take 110V or 220v self regulating
(no switches to select). I think your weight is about right for the
machine.

> They are quite nice, and can be used in up to an 8-way CPU
> configuration.  The fastest CPU's are SM81-2's, which are 85Mhz with
> 2MB e-cache.

The machines can have up to 4 boards in them, each board has 3 sbus
slots, space for 512k of memory, and 2 XBUS modules. xbus modules are
very similar to mbus modules, in fact all xbus modules are also mbus
modules, but the same is not true in the reverse, so you have to make
sure you get the right modules. the xbus modules that have 2mb of cache
are for the SC2000 & SC2000E. Hope this info helps.

-Mike

            +------------------------------+          (/**\)
            | I'm outstanding in my field! |\        ((o  o))___
PGP fingerprint: D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74
Email: schiller at nospam.agrijag.com          http://www.agrijag.com
Voice: 304-334-3951                          FAX: 304-334-3644