[rescue] Repairing bad blocks

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon May 20 12:55:38 CDT 2002

Folks-

Over the weekend, I started getting tons of bad-block error messages on the
drive in my LX.  It's the same small set of numbers over and over, like
"Block: 795437". The messages are displayed on the console, but don't seem
to be in the logs.  Good thing, too, or the several-a-second pace of their
production would fill my little disk pretty quickly.

Can I use format to fix these blocks, lock 'em out, or something?  If so,
are the block numbers in the error messages the same numbers format will
want, or is there some conversion involved?

SPARCstation LX, Solaris 7, etc.

Thanks.

-Shel
--