[rescue] SS10 Sbus slot count

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Fri May 17 15:43:47 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 13:33, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 05:23:20PM -0400, Big Endian wrote:
>
> > I understand that its for NAS, but the point is you can do more with
> > something else if you need that much expansion capacity.  An SS1k
> > comes to mind, so does a n AS2100.  Network topology ideas next.
>
> Yikes.  SS1ks are nice but I'm not sure they are cost effective.  I
> certainly can't afford an AS2100.

Mike has SS1Ks for pretty freaking cheap.  He can ship them for peanuts,
too.  I don't know how cost effective they are to run though.  I can
barely keep 4xSS2s 1xSS20 and 1xU1 powered up here without blowing fuses
(yep, those screw in fuses are still in use in my house.  Augh!)

> > >What is the point of fast disk systems on a file server if nothing can talk
> > >it any where close to full speed?
>
> > ok.  From this stand point you need to design your network with
> > multiple path routed connections.  You should also work in multiple
> > points of usage.  So you have two fddi rings and the FastE.  You plug
> > the FastE into the switch, put up two routers(use the sparc10/20
> > here) that pass packets between the fastE and the dual FDDI rings.
> > At any of those routing points you have access to the full bandwidth
> > of the server. attach your workstations to two segments each and run
> > dynamic routing (OSPF) so that as a link saturates it begins to fill
> > the next one.  you get more bandwidth out of the mesh, but at the
> > cost of more shit to run and more complexity.  I'm attempting to do
> > something like this now but w/ a single FDDI ring and a single FastE
> > segment.
>
> Yikes.  Sounds hard.  Maybe I should just give up on having decent performance
> and just go get a second job instead so that some year I'll be able to just
> buy stuff, when I'm too burnt out to work.  I hate networking stuff.

I think that design is a bit over thought for a home network.  You can
get away with making things a bit simpler, at the cost of expansion not
being so great.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.