[rescue] Good deal or not?

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu May 16 12:16:05 CDT 2002

> They have 2 CPU slots.  Each can take a card with either one
> or two CPUs.
> You can mix and match to some degree but it is easiest to stick with
> identical modules.  8 DIMM slots total for up to 512MB RAM.
> Not bad for
> 1992.
>
> The 501-2218 is an SM20, single 33MHz SuperSparc CPU with no e-cache.
> It's the slowest CPU available for the SS10 but still beats the
> SS2/IPX/Classic/LX handily.  It is _not_ MP-capable.  The
> SM20, SM30 and
> most SM40 modules cannot be used in MP configurations.
>
> -James

	Alright you mananged to confuse the snot out of me with this
comment. The first paragraph got me all excited. I figured get two of them
and take the cpu card out of one and put it in the other. Then I read the
next paragraph and I was confussed.  So let me repeat this back and make
sure I got it (anyone else could chime in also). THe ss10 uses two cpu
connector in it that can take a card in each connector. these cards can have
one or two cpus on them allowing up to 4 processors in each ss10.
Unfortunatly the listed processors (SM20, SM30, SM40) do not allow
themselves to be used more than one at a time. So getting two of the ss10s
here would be a loss as I would not be able to combine the two cpus into one
ss10 due to a limitation on the processors, not a limitation on the ss10
itself.

	Which then brings a new round of questions then.

	1. What is the going price for RAM in a ss10. is $20 worth it for a
seocnd one just to get the 32 megs of ram in it.
	2. I have a ss4 and ss5 and a couple ipcs at home. would it be
possible (and worth while ) to use the extra cpu if I take the ram from one
of these ss10 to upgrade one of these units (assuming they have a worse
processor).

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO