[rescue] IBM on ebay

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu May 16 08:33:06 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 11:21:33PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:

> I think AIX is a great mainframe-class version of unix.
>
> I don't think it's a good choice for small servers.
>
> I don't like having things hidden away in databases. I like
> all admin stuff in plain text files, very accessable.

i don't disagree with you at all.  however, this is a learning experience for
me, so i don't need a mainframe class machine, the small one does just fine.

if you are looking to buy me a mainframe class RS/6000 though, i won't complain
too loudly. ;)

> Although I have to admit - the fact that SMIT will tell you
> what sequence of CLI commands it translated your request
> into is really nice.

it's a well designed front end, just like DiskSuite or Veritas (as examples)
where all the GUI or TUI do are execute CLI utilities.  although i never did
figure out how to get DiskSuite or Veritas to tell me what they were doing, i
had to read it in the documentation. ;)

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"