[rescue] IBM on ebay

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu May 16 08:03:12 CDT 2002

> > 1.  66Mhz processor scares most people away (Look, Myrtle...
> >     someone wants to sell a computer "slower" than my PDA!)
>
> Like hell.  That 66MHz turns in 10.4 specFP95 (that's roughly
> comparable to a 175MHz mips R10000, a 200MHz UltraSparc or a
> 350MHz Pentium II).  Int perf is lower but it's still no slouch.

Umm...that's why I put "slower" in _quotes_.  The bigger brother
of this box, to which I was referring, supported > 100 simultaneous
users in a Navy library in Mississippi until not so long ago...
actually it might still be there.  It had even migrated from
supporting VT220-type users to also allowing web-based access
to the card catalog and library admin functions, IIRC.

The original question was why the price was so low.  I still
stand by my statement that to the average eBay buyer, this
system *must* appear slow...since we all _know_ that the speed
of a computer is simply a function of MHz, right?

  --Rip