[rescue] Xserve

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed May 15 20:08:07 CDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I see apples and I see oranges (all puns intended! :-).  Where's the
> comparison?  MacCentral compares the Xserve with a $20k SunFire 280R.

That's frankly absurd.  It's like putting a sedan and an 18-wheeler truck
in the same comparison because they have similar top speeds.
Expandability and form factor are radically different.  OS is quite a bit
different.  I have been an OS X user since the betas and I am still not
satisfied as to the stability and graceful degradation of OS X under heavy
load.

Unfortunately, Sun doesn't have a box that competes in quite the same
range.  If you need the feature set that this box comes with then it seems
like a deal.

I just wish that they had a better name than "Xserve".  Makes me wonder if
they'll partner with Hustler and release a special edition called the
"XXXserve".

Apple, if you're listening: get the OS X install over a serial console
working properly!

-James