[rescue] IBM on ebay

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed May 15 19:55:34 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 06:03:17PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

> Like hell.  That 66MHz turns in 10.4 specFP95 (that's roughly comparable
> to a 175MHz mips R10000, a 200MHz UltraSparc or a 350MHz Pentium II).  Int
> perf is lower but it's still no slouch.

the POWER CPUs are insane.  god i love them. :)

> Old?  4.3.3 will fly on that box.  The 590 is still a system to be
> reckoned with.

hell yeah, my 591 screams.  i love that machine, can't wait to get it booted
again now that i have a FDDI board for it!

> The biggest downside is that the case is big, bulky and heavy.  Other than
> that it's a nice system.

but big and bulky means lots of space for internal disks, as well as a LOT of
MCA slots.  very very nice.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"