[rescue] IBM on ebay

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue May 14 20:02:46 CDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:

> > >Anybody know what the *smallest* S/390 is?  Is it one of those goes-in-an-AT
> > >cards?
> >
> > Aside from the obvious performance issues, wasn't that AT/390 thingy
> > actually not fully compatable?
>
> You are confusing the P/370 with the P/390.  The P/370 goes in a PC (might
> even go down to XT), and is compatible with the S/370 architecture.  The

The P/370 was MCA-only.  I haven't seen a lot of MCA XTs lately.

The XT/370 was a 2-board 8-bit ISA set and would run in an XT (in fact,
due to addressing constraints it has a hard time running anywhere else).
You need a 512KB XT/AT for VM/PC to operate properly due to the way it
maps in.

> P/390 fits in either a PCI or Microchannel slot and is compatible with
> ESA/390/G4.  The P/390E is PCI only and is compatible with ESA/390/G4.

There were minor compatability issues with the original P/390 but these
have been rectified with a couple of APARs.

-James