[rescue] IBM on ebay

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Tue May 14 19:37:17 CDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002 dave at cca.org wrote:

> >> So you could put a 390 CPU in an RS/6000, and use the POWER CPU as
> >> an IO processor for the 390... Deja Vu!
>
> >You can even offload the I/O to emulated channel processors running on
> >i960's on separate cards.
>
> I'm guessing those are the stock high-end RS/6000 i960-based boards?
> Or were they special, just for this?

They are pretty standard IBM ARTIC960 cards, but with proprietary
connectors and firmware.

> (I just like the historic irony of POWER returning to its IO
> processor ancestry.)

Actually POWER evolved from the chip that was used in the DisplayWriter.

Peace...  Sridhar

--
"How do you fight such a savage?"

"With heart, faith, and steel.  There can be only one."
	-MacLeod and Ramirez, "Highlander"