[rescue] IBM on ebay

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Tue May 14 17:26:11 CDT 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2023078985
>
> It appears that IBM is getting into selling their own mainframes on
> ebay.

Sort of.  Continue reading.

> Is that a G5 machine, anyone know?  It looks like it will shortly close for
> $6k.

This is not a straight-up "big-iron"  S/390.  It is a system somewhat
similar to a P/390.

> I wonder how well they would take shipping the machine w/o selling an OS to
> go with it.  If I recall correctly, despite what Suse, IBM, et al want to
> charge for linux, it is still possible to just download it and run it on
> the bare metal.

IBM doesn't charge anything for Linux.  You can download tape images
directly from IBM.  They charge for service contracts.

Peace...  Sridhar

--
"How do you fight such a savage?"

"With heart, faith, and steel.  There can be only one."
	-MacLeod and Ramirez, "Highlander"