[rescue] Another Odd Sun System on eBay

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon May 13 12:54:14 CDT 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> > Here's a SS20 with an Ultra CPU:
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2023380036
> >
> > It looks a replacement motherboard, but I guess it could be
> > an MBUS-UPA adapter card instead.
> >
> > If it is an MBUS-UPA adapter, are they still available?
>
> On a second look, it can't be an adapter as the two SBUS
> slots that are normally in the middle are completely gone.
> Is this a third-party upgrade, a Sun upgrade, or a prototype?

I believe that it's a SparcEngine Ultra 20, normally used in embedded apps
where the SparcEngine 5/20 would have been used before.  I mentioned them
here on Rescue a long time ago.  You used to be able to buy them from SME.

They were never sold in desktop chassis, only bare boards, but the boards
were designed to fit in the same mounting cradle as the SS5/SS20.

Ah, here we go:

SEU20-0B     SPARCengine Ultra 20     LO 8/4/00, LS 2/2/01

So they stopped production in 2000.

-James