[rescue] Re: Submarine batteries

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Mon May 13 05:33:58 CDT 2002

"Loomis, Rip" wrote:

> Sambo, how in the *BLEEP* are you going to power anything
> noticeable with 2,4, or 6 of these cells?  It would take
> a grunch of these, plus a DC-AC converter, to power anything
> that was expecting US 110VAC...because the individual cell
> output on these batteries is low volts high crankage.

Yeah, Al said 6 to 8 was the minimum, and he'd prefer 10. I don't
remember the exact numbers, but we did the math, and 10 should run the
house with no problems. Less than that, and it's a nice UPS. The only
thing that was questionable was the air conditioner, and even that came
out OK with 10. He's done this twice before with these type batteries.

I haven't taken posession of the batteries yet, they're still in Al's
warehouse, and there they'll stay for a while. I haven't even cleared
(or made) space for them yet. I may just pour a concrete pad and build a
shed around them rather than try to get them inside the house.

He's also got the converter. It's good to have friends in strange
places.

---sambo