[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun May 12 00:58:20 CDT 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Kris Kirby wrote:

> On Sat, 11 May 2002, James Lockwood wrote:
> > offroad dyed diesel ($0.77/gal delivered here in qty. currently).
>
> How, pray tell, does one get this and is it kosher to run in generators,
> large and small?

Look in your yellow pages for bulk fuel or petrochem suppliers.  Any area
with a large agricultural presence will have someone selling the stuff,
usually with tankers.  Farmers use it extensively for tractors and usually
have large tanks on their farms to hold it.

It's identical with road diesel with the exception of the addition of red
dye to mark it.  Being caught using it on-road is a big big no-no with
huge potential fines.  I remember random "tank dips" being a frequent
sight at agricultural auctions, the cops would frequently catch someone
with red fuel in a diesel pickup truck.

In some areas heating oil is identical to offroad diesel and actually
comes from the same batches.  If others it is not (less strict checks for
sulfur and the lack of anticoagulants being the main concerns).  YMMV.

> (My bro is a TV engineer and "gasses" up the big generator once a year --
> 1600 gallons. Six days of runtime -- 180KW, V8 Cat Powered.)

Nice.

-James