[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun May 12 00:46:25 CDT 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Kris Kirby wrote:

> I wonder what it would take to convert my 1945 Briggs and Straton gasoline
> generator to CNG / LPG / Propane... and be able to undo it at a moment's
> notice.

Stake in hardened exhaust valve seats.  Install intake gas metering
mechanism (usually just a simple "mix tube").  Bump up compression to
maintain power if mainly operating off of LPG.

It's pretty straightforward.  You do want to make sure the seats are
hardened if you are using the engine for any length of time, LPG makes
TEL-free gasoline look like a lubricant and coolant by comparison.  :-/

Of course, if it's a low end unit then the mains and rings will probably
die long before the seats.  Hm.

-James