[rescue] Nerd Desks?

kamakazi kamakazi at pellucidar.net
Sat May 4 18:44:17 CDT 2002

Since this is going to be a long thread, I'll start.  I at one point built a 6 foot long desk with angled monitor shelf, so I could run monitors without tilt/swivel.  It was 7 feet tall and had 4 rows of bookshelf above the monitors.  At one point I had 6 machines working in this, unfortunately 6 feet is only enough room for 3.5 keyboads/mice.  From experience I have learned that the keyboards take up a lot more room than monitors, and even more than deskside computers.

I tore the monster apart and just built a small table type desk, which sits right between my infrastructure rack and my (currently unused) Sun mass storage array which has a particleboard top/keyboard shelf sitting on it.  I have a keyboard on top of the desk, a keyboard on the storage array "desk" and a keyboard in a pull out tray under the desk, with 3 monitors spread across the two.  Monitors are 21" Digital, 17" digital and 19"SGI.  The keyboard/mouse/Digital21" combo hook to a 4 port Cybex box, which let's me access my Linux firewall, my Linux Dev. box, my other x86 box, and whichever of two Alphas I have plugged in at the moment.

The Mac and the I2 have dedicated keyboard/mice/monitors.  By the way, I did have problems using the Cybex/Digital 21" monitor with my Indy, the keyboard/mouse worked fine, the monitor wouldn't "catch", it would just flash on and off.

That gives me 6 machines with heads

My Linux server is headless.

That was the best I could do.

I have never seen a computer desk, other than outrageously pricey stuff specially made for "server rooms" (which is ugly grey metal) which would conveniently hold even two computers.

I'd take pictures, but I can't fit in the computer room with the digital camera :-)

kamakazi