[rescue] Sun Blade 100 Question - IDE

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri May 10 15:13:40 CDT 2002

There are two main problems with multiple ide devices on a single channel.
THe fisr is that they cant actually share the channel simultaneously they
latch the channel sequentially so if one is working the other has to be
idle. THe second problem is that both devices will downgrade to the lower
speed. Most generic cdroms are at max ATA33 devices and many don't support
DMA.

>I don't know whether the OS makes a difference or not,
> and whether or not the IDE chipset matters, and this is all
> subjective, but before I got rid of extra stuff I couldn't burn a
> CD at 12X, after I always could at 16X, and 12X is pretty slow
> when looking at HD speeds.

OS and IDE chipset do make a VERY big difference actually, just ask anyone
who has highpoint or promise ide controllers on their systems or look up the
stories on any majpor hardware site.

CHris Byrne