[rescue] Ultra 5 OBP Ugrade

Ken Caruso ken at ipl31.net
Thu May 9 03:05:21 CDT 2002

Well,

	No joy so far. The first thing I tried was setting up SILO ( the
LILO for sparc and sparc64 ) to boot the OpenBoot update file, and it
complains that there are "Multiple loadable segments in your ELF image"
and exits.

	So next I decided to try netbooting the firmware update, so I
turned on rarp and tftpd on an openbsd, and rarpd works as advertised I
see the host entry get put into the arp table, however tftp doesnt seem to
work. Putting inetd into debug mode shows me that the sun box is
attempting to make a tftp connection however the it just sits there and
doesnt say anything. tftp is chrooted into /tftpboot and following the sun
netboot instructions off of the netbsd.org website I named the file the
same as the hex equivialent of the ip address being assigned.

       While reading the tftpd man page, I found this:

Files larger than 33488896 octets (65535 blocks) cannot be transferred
     without client and server supporting blocksize negotiation (RFC1783).

     Many tftp clients will not transfer files over 16744448 octets (32767
     blocks).

	So I am guessing that is what the problem be. Becuase the open
boot update is fairly big.

      Oh well, if I cant figure out anything else I guess I will dig up a
drive to install Solaris on so I can boot the patch from a sun formated
drive. Just figured I give a progress update in case any else happens to
try it :)

Thanks

Ken