[rescue] Energy

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed May 8 20:15:05 CDT 2002

Well, back when I was employed, there was a user I supported who came to me one morning and said "Tim, do you think you could take my CD drive apart and get the pieces out?"  At my understandably inquisitive look she went on to explain that she had brought her official Office97 CD in to make a copy for a friend (yeah, she was one of my smarter users) and as she was copying it there was a loud bang, apparently loud enough to cause prairie dogging from 4 or 5 cubes away, and funny noise from the computer.  When she attempted to eject the CD the drawer would only open part way, but she turned the computer upside down and banged on it and got most of the pieces out. (yeah, she was one of my smarter users)  So anyway, I took the drive apart, removed all the pieces of the CD, a couple pieces of drawer, admired the big crack in the plastic drive chassis, put it all back together and it worked.  Apperently under some conditions 40x exceeds the max. rot. speed.  I still have the litt!
le pieces, and I can tell they weren't pirated 'cause you can still see the hologram :-)

Tim