[rescue] "Hawking Technology" switches?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed May 8 13:27:21 CDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> Has anyone ever heard of or used network components
> from "Hawking Technology"?  While looking around
> for HD mounting screws I found
>   http://www.provantage.com/PR_54021.HTM
> which is a 16-port unmanaged switch for $66 plus S/H
> after rebate.  10/100, FDX capable, etc.--which seems
> like a fairly good deal (the 8-port D-Stink I have at home
> sounds as though the fan might go any time...)

I have 3 of the 24-port version here.

They work ok, except:

1. Sometimes a network connection that works fine on another switch
initiates a bizarre cascade that eventually crashes the switch.  We have
flaky IBM type-1 cabling here that I suspect contributes to the problem.

2. I had one die on me last week.  This turns me off.

Overall I give them a B-.

-James