[rescue] Introduction + Cray Solaris questions

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Tue May 7 22:35:33 CDT 2002

Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:

> Hello, I'm completely mad!  :-)

 <Lots of stuff deleted.>

> Second: Crating + shipping.
>
> For shipping large beasties, is there a general consensus about which
> companies are best?  In a former life I did a lot of shipping and
> receiving (software manufacturing), but I'm wondering of common carriers
> vs. padded van/movers vs. just taking a long weekend and driving down
> (Portland, OR to the Bay Area) with some muscular friends to help lug
> these monsters, which is the way to go?  Any horror stories?  Any high
> praise for a particular carrier?  When I was shipping it was pallets and
> pallets of rubber protective gear (for high-voltage utility work, not THAT
> kind of rubber protective gear :-) and just about all the big carriers did
> a fine job with that stuff.  But for electronics... especially old, heavy
> stuff like this...

I have an SC2000 (unfortunately not an E model) as well as a SS690MP. I had
both of the machines while I was living in TN, and I got the 690 from GA and
the 2000 from OH. For both machines I just put them in the back of my pickup
truck (I have a tommygate lifegate on the back of it) and strapped it down to
the sides of the truck. When I moved to WV I moved both of them in the same
truck load along with an SS670 and the mass storage unit that's the same size
as the 670. I would recommend renting a truck with a tailgate and going down
and getting it yourself (along with some strong friends to help move it onto
the truck), as I've found that movers and/or trucking companies are just too
rough on stuff.

> Third: Power.
>
> My whole point in collecting is that my machines (very nearly) all _work_.
> I don't want boxes that just look nifty, I want boxes I can actually use
> and play with.  Of course, my semi-arbitrary limit on power usage is "I
> won't spend more an electricity than on rent..."  Suddenly I may have to
> revise that policy. :-)  To assuage my guilty conscience, I've signed up
> with my local power company to pay extra for "green power" - 100% wind or
> geothermal - I find it highly satisfying to power my old beasts with air
> and steam. :-)
>
> But since the 2000E or the CS6400 don't offer "Energy Star" certification
> (wouldn't that be a hoot?) I'm wondering what folks do to cut down their
> energy bills.  Fuel cells?  Solar panels?  Stationary bikes with
> generators? :-)  Or do I just sell sponsorships or banner ads (bwaaaa ha
> ha ha ha ha) to help defray the costs?  Worse, do I just power them up on
> weekends for 'xconq' or MazeWars fests and to inflate my Seti at home scores?
> :-)

I have a SS1000 that's currently my main 'server' but that's going to change
as soon as I install a new UPS for the 2000. When I was in TN I had to use
either the 2000 or the 1000, but couldn't use both at the same time,
hopefully soon I won't have the same problem here. Here in WV the electric is
cheaper than it was in TN, and it was almost half the cost of electric in FL
when I moved to TN. In TN I figured that the SC2000 was costing me around
$60/mo so I'm hoping that here it'll only be around 45 or so. I don't know
what I would do if I was somewhere the electric was expensive. :)

            +------------------------------+          (/**\)
            | I'm outstanding in my field! |\        ((o  o))___
PGP fingerprint: D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74
Email: schiller at nospam.agrijag.com          http://www.agrijag.com
Voice: 304-334-3951                          FAX: 304-334-3644