[rescue] Re: No Pickup (was: MTI DAS9000 disk array)

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Tue May 7 22:21:12 CDT 2002

George Adkins wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 07:46 pm, you wrote:
> > While I don't agree with the 'No Pickups' policy of some sellers, I do
> > understand it. When a private person comes to pickup merchandise, it
> > usually takes the seller away from their normal 'flow', and some feel that
> > it isn't worth their time to do that. When everything goes out via freight
> > company, it flows smoothly.
> >
> I suppose I see your point, however, it's not like I'm asking them to
> "inconvenience themselves" for nothing now, am I?  After all, we're PAYING
> them, as in putting money in their pocket...
>
> When was the last time you called Dominos to order a couple pizzas, and the
> driver called you back later and said 'Dude, I don't feel like driving all
> the way out there, come pick up your pizzas yourself, they're ready..."

Hmmm... lets see, the last time I called them. Dominos only delivers to a
specific area. I haven't lived in an area served by a Dominos in a couple of
years now I would say. They're still happy to sell me a pizza, but I have to go
and get it.

> I tend to agree with the ideas that the "no pick up" people are pulling
> something unsavory by either trying to pass off something that's less than
> advertised, or (equally despicable) charging you an extra 'handling' fee
> beyond what the shipping charges (plus reasonable packing costs) are.

I recently bought a few machines from an ebay seller that routinely charges a
'packing' charge of like $10 over the cost of shipping. When I let them know I
was going to be picking up the machines their response was that they're already
packed for shipping, so I would still have to pay the packaging charge. at
first I didn't like this idea, BUT it was listed in their auction terms, so I
figured there's not much I could do about it. When I actually got there they
didn't charge me the full $10.00, but rather only charged me $4.00 for the cost
of the box, something I thought was a fair charge. I was also able to watch a
larger ebay seller in action, and they had everything very compartmentalized,
with untested new systems in one place, tested ready to list items in another
place, listed items in another (with their auction #'s on them), and finally
sold items waiting to be paid, then shipped. When I arrived there I could see
that it upset their smooth operation, and while this particular seller doesn't
mind pickups, I can see where a seller that sells as much as the one this whole
thread was started about sold could be disturbed enough by  so many customer
pickups as to finally say NO PICKUPS.  While I understand this policy, I might
buy a smaller item from such a seller (in fact I believe I have bought things
from them) I would never buy a larger item from them.

            +------------------------------+          (/**\)
            | I'm outstanding in my field! |\        ((o  o))___
PGP fingerprint: D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74
Email: schiller at nospam.agrijag.com          http://www.agrijag.com
Voice: 304-334-3951                          FAX: 304-334-3644