[rescue] Re: No Pickup (was: MTI DAS9000 disk array)

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Tue May 7 19:10:51 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 07:46 pm, you wrote:
> While I don't agree with the 'No Pickups' policy of some sellers, I do
> understand it. When a private person comes to pickup merchandise, it
> usually takes the seller away from their normal 'flow', and some feel that
> it isn't worth their time to do that. When everything goes out via freight
> company, it flows smoothly.

I suppose I see your point, however, it's not like I'm asking them to
"inconvenience themselves" for nothing now, am I?  After all, we're PAYING
them, as in putting money in their pocket...

When was the last time you called Dominos to order a couple pizzas, and the
driver called you back later and said 'Dude, I don't feel like driving all
the way out there, come pick up your pizzas yourself, they're ready..."

I tend to agree with the ideas that the "no pick up" people are pulling
something unsavory by either trying to pass off something that's less than
advertised, or (equally despicable) charging you an extra 'handling' fee
beyond what the shipping charges (plus reasonable packing costs) are.

I bought two Compact Flash to PCMCIA adapters from a vendor, and paid by CC
over the phone.  When the charges arrived, it was 7.95 for the CF adapters
and $27.95 for the shipping and handling!  UPS Ground no less...!

Needless to say, I get shipping quoted up front before paying for auctions
now...

George