[rescue] AXi vs. Ultra 30

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 7 14:30:19 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> If the cost were the same, which would be better, an Ultra AXi
> or an Ultra 30?  Ignore the issues of the case, as I'd use the
> Ultra AXi in a rack-mount case, which is a bonus, but not a big
> deal since I'd have the Ultra 30 on a shelf sitting beside a
> couple of Alpha PWS500au systems.  I'm more interested in terms
> of performance.  Also ignore any video issues, since they'd
> both be headless with a serial console.

Performance-wise, I'd assume that they're equivalent.  I've used an AXi
as a headless server and been quite happy with it, but I'd go for the
Ultra 30 because the U30 has 64-bit PCI, the AXi has only 32-bit PCI.
The U30 can also take twice as much memory.

To the AXi's credit, memory is cheaper.  That's really the only reason I'd
see to go with it, if the prices were equivalent. :)

--Jonathan