[rescue] RE: A real rescue

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon May 6 15:58:17 CDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Chris Byrne wrote:

> > From: rescue-admin at sunhelp.org [mailto:rescue-admin at sunhelp.org]On
> > Behalf Of Jonathan C. Patschke
>
> > Is it true that Sun "obsoletes" equipment that they no-longer want to
> > manufacture by jacking up the price?
>
> Yup, that's what they did with the Ultra 1 and tried to do with the Ultra 2.
> At least they used to. For the last two years Sun has been making a huge
> play on selling refurbished equipment and they seem to have stopped doing
> that price jacking.

I think they found they didn't have a choice. I've heard from both sides
of the gray market issue that "gray" Sun resellers and financial recovery
companies are putting the squeeze something fierce on Sun.

I've been getting great deals on perfectly good Suns, some just 2 years
old, where it would be cheaper to buy FOUR of them and cold-spare than to
buy just one from Sun. With the dotbomb money flood drying up, companies
aren't as happy to get their 5% on cat A and buy new stuff anymore. Heck,
see how much E4500 power you can get from Sun for $30k. I think I hear a
Sun sales rep laughing from here. :)

They are still high on the prices, but if you want a Sun warranty it's
better than it used to be. But aieee, $723 for a Sun 21" monitor from Sun
on ebay? I've been getting 24" Sun monitors for half that or so.

--Rob