[rescue] A real rescue

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon May 6 15:25:33 CDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Steven Hill wrote:

> Found a 1997 Sun Spares catalogue in my office.
>
> TGX+ for more that $2k
>
> Bwahahaahahahahahaha

Look up the price for an unpopulated motherboard for a SPARC LX.  It's
quite ludicrous at nearly $4k.  That's the only one that really stuck in
my head as bad.  The motherboard for an ELC is silly, too, but no-where
near as impressive.

Is it true that Sun "obsoletes" equipment that they no-longer want to
manufacture by jacking up the price?  I heard this rumor a while ago.
It'd be an effective way to get customers to upgrade (while at the same
time lowering production costs): make the newer, higher-performing stuff
less expensive than the old stuff.

--Jonathan