[rescue] A real rescue

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon May 6 09:26:46 CDT 2002

On May 6, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> what *is* a 4000/610 (or 4600 as i've also seen)?  i'm assuming it's not a
> 4100.  what's it look like?  any web page pointers dave?  otherwise, PLEASE
> TAKE PICTURES!!!!  ;)

  It's a machine that slightly predates the "AlphaServer" naming
scheme.  Seems to be uniprocessor only but I'm not sure of that.  It
wasn't a great design but is impressive nonetheless.

  Think "DEC3000" -> "DEC4000".

  There is some info in the "retired" section of Compaq's web server.

> do you know which one?  EV?

  EV4 or EV45, most likely EV4, but I'm not sure.

> >   US vendor prices on that machine range from a few hunred bucks in
> > empty-box configs to a few thousand bucks for machines with big
> > balls.  Compaq's trade-in allowance is $1500 for that box.
>
> also keep in mind vendor prices are "corporate specific" and are always much
> higher than they need to be.

  That's very true, but that's what most people pay.  Not people like
*us*, of course, but I will remind you that we are the minority.  For
example, at his company, a guy I know NJ ordered a VAX 7000 system
from a vendor...and paid nearly $30,000 for it...less than a month
ago.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                       "Actually, I've found that I rarely wear
St. Petersburg, FL                    pants in Florida." -Sridhar