[rescue] Making SS20 drive brackets

Dan Canaan flinters at picarefy.com
Sat May 4 10:54:08 CDT 2002

> > I mentioned it to a guy at work and he has a CNC mill and makes resin
> > models. He said to bring one in and he would look at it to see what it
> would
> > take to make some. I showed it to him last week and he said they would be
> > easy to make. And he figures he can make a mold in less than a day. Once I
> > had the mold, I could make as many as I wanted. He estimated that it would
> > take about $1 of resin to make one. Even if I sold them on eBay for $10
> > (which I wouldn't) I could make quite a bit.
> >
> > What do you guys think?

I think it's a great idea- for yourself only.  The moment you start making
them and giving them away to others, it's called theft.  And selling them
on eBay is doubly dangerous- now you're a bootlegger by making counterfeit
copies of a part and selling them for a profit.  It's definately lawsuit
bait material at that point.  You do NOT want to go there.   Copyrights are
there for a reason.  You can't cast a commercial item and then sell the
copies of it without breaking the law.  And I don't think the moderators of
this list want to see this list used for illegal activities- it tends to
put them in the line of lawsuits as well.

Now with that out of the way, you CAN make modifications to the master
you're planning on using.  Is there anything you'd like to change about the
way the bracket fits?  A cable guide built in for the ribbon cable and
power?  A different height mounting point?  How about a single bracket that
has drive mounts on top and on bottom (mount the bottom drive upside
down)?  Anything that you do to improve or change the original to a
signifcant extent will keep you out of trouble.