[rescue] Sun 711

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri May 3 14:32:53 CDT 2002

> If you have just written this file then it is likely still cached.  The
> only way do be sure you are not seeing cache effects is to manipulate data
> files far in excess of RAM size, or to directly manipulate an uncached
> resource (such as a raw disk device).

There was a system reboot prior to the test, anytime I test the speed of
anything, it's with a clean freshly booted system.

> > In this case, it's not an illusion, it's flat-out read speed.
>
> Try this:
>
> ptime dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=1024
>
> (use whatever raw disk device is applicable)
>
> This bypasses filesystem overhead, but fs overhead is seldom a concern for
> a single huge sustained I/O.

That's nice, however the reason I didn't test with dd in the first place is
because I wanted to include whatever filesystem overhead (for better or
worse) there was in the mix.

George