[rescue] Sun 711

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri May 3 13:55:57 CDT 2002

> > write at 150MB/sec, as long as it can read 300MB/sec...
>
> It is illusory.  You can only "read" 300MB/sec in your example if half of
> it is already cached in RAM (from a previous read).

Understood, except that this isn't.  it's a 1 gig file, which has not ben
pre-read anywhere else, plus there are no other tasks going on.  An Idle
system with 1 interactive shell executing the commands on an otherwise still
disk subsystem.  No bursty traffic, no concurrent access of the disks.  I
already thought about this and did the test under conditions where cacheing
would not be anything other than the ordinary read-ahead one would get during
the read process.

In this case, it's not an illusion, it's flat-out read speed.