[rescue] Sun 711

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri May 3 00:08:44 CDT 2002

> > Is this unsound for figuring raw read performance?
>
> Actually it can be depending on the composition of the file. <snip>

This one was mpeg video, but it was not compressed.

> And that the transfer last
> long enough. Anything liess than 10 seconds is insufficient, and personally
> I go for a minute. Also you need to make sure that the file is large than
> the combined system RAM, controller, and hard drive cahce if you want to
> see the true sustained throughput to the spindles rather than cache
> throughput

this was a 1 gig file, and it took just longer than 10 seconds.  To get 1
full minute, I's probably have to cat together 8 or 9 gigs of file.  The
system has 1 gig of RAM and the controller has 32 Megs of cache, but I don't
see how that would falsely affect this test since it's straight read
performance (no write caching).

> I was also assuming write throughput for my calculations not read
> theroughput. Read throughput can often reach over 90% of maximum if you are
> reading from a (or a set of) non striped non parity mirror.

Yes, but the requirements he was asking for was pure read performance speed
as well...

> I hihgly recommend IOZone and Bonnie. <snip>

I looked at Bonnie, it looks interesting.  Tests several performance aspects,
it's small, comes in source code, is non-proprietary, etc.  I would not be
using IOZone (Don't do Winders...).

Thanks for the info.

George