[rescue] Sun 711

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Thu May 2 11:15:40 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 07:40:56AM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

> 100MB/s is easy.  300MB/s is not.  300MB/s both to disk and video is
> really not.  You not only need big I/O cajones, but you are stressing main
> RAM bandwidth in a significant way.  Fast CPU cache will do nothing for
> you here.  Interrupts will kill you if you're not careful.

Take a look at how fast the bus and memory bandwidths are on the latest
Pentium IV motherboards with RDRAM. Sure, it's the same old bus, but the
clocks have been ratcheted up to insane (well, relative to what they were a
couple of years ago) levels. You don't need a crossbar switch for this
simple task.

Interrupts will kill you? Interrupts from what? We're not talking about a
multi-purpose machine here. There's a single task running, the machine is
probably doing a lot of DMA transfers across the bus, and that's about it.

David